The fall season is the perfect time to go exploring some of our favorite pumpkin patches in Virginia. We are talking family-friendly mazes, Halloween scare zone, free hayrides and play areas for the little ones.
Top it all off with a few fall sweet treats of hot apple cider and pumpkin-spiced lattes at the farmers market, and you will be ready to start scouring the pumpkin farms in Virginia for that perfect orange gourd.
We have taken the work out of finding that perfect patch for your and your crew, with all of the information you need to have family fun, or a jack-o-lantern filled spooky night, so all you have to do is figured out who’s going to drive to get you there.
Table of Contents
- 1 What To Bring to the Pumpkin Patch
- 2 Ashland Berry Farm
- 3 Cox Farms
- 4 Belvedere Plantation
- 5 Berkeley Plantation Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch
- 6 Liberty Mills Farm
- 7 Coverly Farm
- 8 Historic Crab Orchard Museum
- 9 Critzer Family Farm
- 10 Dickie Brothers Orchard
- 11 Doe Run Farm
- 12 Hickory Ridge Farm
- 13 Hunt Club’s Petting Farm
- 14 Lloyd Family Farm
- 15 Pumpkinville Farm
- 16 Whitehall Farms
- 17 Can’t go today? Pin it for Later!
What To Bring to the Pumpkin Patch
- Sunscreen and cute autumn hats
- Layers (you never know with the ever-changing Fall weather!)
- Comfortable shoes (rubber boots, like Hunters, are great for trudging through pumpkin patches and climbing on those hay wagons!)
- Camera for the perfect family photos (check out our favorites)
- Picnic lunch or cash for snacks
- Reusable water bottle to stay hydrated
This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of those links we will receive a small commission.
Ashland Berry Farm
- Address: 12607 Old Ridge Road, Beaverdam, VA 23015
- Dates: Month of October (closed Mondays)
- Terror On The Farm: Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday, 7pm-10pm, Friday and Saturday 7pm -11pm
Spend the day at Ashland Berry Farm by jumping on a hay wagon and taking a hay ride to their 30-acre pumpkin patch to collect as many pumpkins as you can carry for $20.
The kids will love some time to explore Fort Pumpkin (weekends only), where they can see the animals in the corral, test their skills on the inflatable obstacle course, and get lost in the straw maze.
When your stomach starts to get hungry from all that fall fun you have been doing, stop into the (weekends-only) Ashland Berry Farm donut show and get a fresh homemade donut and a variety of other delicious snacks.
They also have a country store and gift shop to pick up all those supplies you need to decorate your house and yard for the Halloween and fall season.
Come back in the evening to get scared at one or more of their four terrifying haunts nat Terror on the Farm. This fright fest can be intense, so leave the little ones at home.
- Address: 15621 Braddock Rd, Centreville, VA 20120
- Hours: Late September through early November, Friday-Monday
- Tickets: Tickets must be purchased online in advance.
- Fields of Fear: book your tickets in advance.
We love to grab photos at Cox Farms, with their old blue truck surrounded by pumpkins, dried corn backgrounds and piles of pumpkins to get cozy in. You won’t want to miss shopping at their fully stocked farmers market and hayrides into the pumpkin patch either.
Pop back in as the sun sets for Fields of Fears. Hop on a “Dark Side Hayride,” watch fire breathers in action, and start screaming as you wander through Cornightmare and “The Forest: Back 40.” Don’t worry, after you burn off all of those calories screaming and running, you can grab some Field of Fears food to fill yourself back up.
- Address: 1410 Belvedere Drive, Fredericksburg, VA 22408
- Hours: Late September through early November, closed Mondays
- Tickets: Tickets must be purchased online in advance.
At Belvedere Plantation, you can stroll through the pumpkin patch finding that perfect pumpkin, via the wagon ride out to the field. You can also participate in more than 30 other fall activities that include the Maize Maze, Fun Barn, Zippitydoo, Olde Barnyard, Swine Speedway, Pumpkin Mountain Slide, Jumping Pillow, Barrel Train, Pedal Tractors, Straw Jump, Trike Track and the Candy Cannon Show.
For an additional fee, you can participate in Pumpkin Plunkin’ (paintball arcade), Paint the Pest, Barnyard Blasters, and Pumpkin Painting.
Stop into the Plantation Market to pick up local products and produce, including .
If hunger strikes when you at the farm, stop in at Red Rooster Grill or the Bakery Café for hot cider and fresh baked goods. If you are craving carnival-type food, you can grab some kettle corn or a funnel cake. On your way out, stock up on local products and produce at the Plantation Market.
Berkeley Plantation Corn Maze and Pumpkin Patch
- Address: 12602 Harrison Landing Road, Charles City, VA 23030
- Hours: October 1 – end of November, 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Mix up a little history with your pumpkin picking this year at Berkeley Plantation. Wander the gardens for some extra fall color and leaf peeping, before working your way around the onsite corn maze. Pick up your fall pumpkins in their pumpkin patch, all while learning a little Berkeley history during your visit to Charles City, VA.
Liberty Mills Farm
- Address: 9166 Liberty Mills Road, Somerset, VA 22972
- Hours: Open through mid-November, Wednesday-Mondays 11am – 6pm (closed on Tuesdays)
Liberty Mills Farm not only has pumpkins, but they also have an antique tractor collection, a Farm Marke and the largest corn maze east of the Mississippi River at 34-acres. The Fall corn maze includes four trails and will take you about two hours to navigate and find the 21 markers.
Once you emerge from the maze, hop on a hay wagon to the pumpkin patch. Here you can grab the perfect pumpkin for your spooky or sweet jack-o-lantern this Halloween.
Be sure to stop in the Farm Market to pick up some homemade fudge or John Deere tractor churned ice cream (kids love it!).
- Address: 12901 Coverly Rd., Amelia, VA 23002
- Dates: Weekends in October
At Coverly Farm your family can enjoy not only picking out that perfect pumpkin, but visit the farm animals, ride the barrel train, take a hayride and try out their skills in the corn maze puzzles.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum
- Address: 3663 Crab Orchard Road, Tazewell, VA 24651
- Dates: October through November
Come to the Historic Crab Orchard Museum to support the museums educational programs. Get lost in the Tracks to the Past-themed Crab Orchard Corn Maze and find your ideal pumpkin in the Pisgah Pumpkin Patch.
Ever wanted to slingshotted a pumpkin at a target? You can have your chance to do some “Punkin’ Chunkin’,” and win a prize while you do it.
If hunger calls while you are there, cross the street and grab a table at Fisher and Company.
Critzer Family Farm
- Address: 9388 Critzer Shop Road, Afton, VA 22920
- Dates: Through October 31, 2020, Closed Sundays
Make a quick stop at Critzer Family Farm in Nelson County for your pre-picked pumpkins that are great for both cooking and carving. You can also stock up on local vegetables, Drumheller Orchard apples, and homemade strawberry and pumpkin ice cream.
If you are lucky enough, get some of Critzer’s apple cider. You have to be quick though, as it is only available while supplies last.
Dickie Brothers Orchard
- Address: 2685 Dickie Road, Roseland, VA 22967
- Dates: mid-October through early November, Closed Mondays through Wednesdays
Pick up a wagon or bring your own and head to the pumpkin patch to collect your orange guards. After you have selected your pumpkins, pop into the Apple Cider Express for some fresh apple cider, apple butter, apple turnovers, apple sauce and freshly roasted chestnuts.
LOCAL TIP: Stop back in November to enjoy their annual Cider, Blues and BBQ festival.
Doe Run Farm
- Address: 214 Marigold Lane, Ararat, VA 24053
- Dates: late September through end of October, open weekends only
At Doe Run Farm, the kid in you will pop out as you weave your way through in the Annual Sunflower Maze that encompasses 6-acres of sunflowers. Bring your camera, because this is photo magic in the making.
Test your aim with the Apple Launcher, or see how many strikes you can throw at the Pumpkin Bowling lanes. You can even take on your friends and family at their Corn Hole site.
Once you have enjoyed done all of the Doe Run activities, pick up your fresh produce, fall decorations and an apple pie to go. Oh, and don’t forget your pumpkin! With all the varieties of pumpkins offered by the farm, choosing the perfect one may be difficult.
Hickory Ridge Farm
- Address: 2928 S Battlefield Boulevard, Chesapeake, VA 23322
- Dates: mid-October through Halloween
When it comes to fall festivals, Hickory Ridge Farm goes all out. Not only can you pick out your pumpkins or gourd from a wide variety, but the kids will enjoy a pony ride as mom and devour a delicious slice of pumpkin cheesecake. Everyone will want to savor a fresh glass of peach or apple cider.
If you need fall decorations, they have a variety of autumn-inspired decor from hay bales to corn stalk and beautiful fall mums.
Hunt Club’s Petting Farm
- Address: 2388 London Bridge Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23456
- Dates: October through early November
- Haunted Hunt Club Farm: tickets must be pre-purchased online. Open times: 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM and 9:30 PM – 11:30 PM
Visit the Harvest Fair during daylight hours, where the kiddies can enjoy chasing the chickens, petting the alpaca or feeding a goat before enjoying a pony ride or taking a stroll through the tree walk. Don’t forget to go into the field and choose your pumpkin (or pumpkins!)
Weekends bring a DJ spinning music, games, and of course, a cup of apple cider or hot chocolate to warm you up on a chilly autumn afternoon.
In the evening, journey into the woods and cornfields with care as evil eyes stalk your every move and the Haunted Hunt Club Farm awaken in the Field of Screams, Village of the Dead and Town of Terror. As the 2019-2020 winner of the Haunted Attractions Association’s Top-Rated Haunts in America award, Hunt Club’s Haunted Farm is full of frightful moments, live characters and more than enough screams. Grab your tickets early, because this one sells out.
Lloyd Family Farm
- Address: 12204 Pinhook Road, Rockville, VA 23146
- Dates: Open through October 31, closed Mondays and Tuesdays
When you visit Lloyd Family Farm, begin by taking a hayride out to the pumpkin field to grab your pumpkin. Gently throw your paid for pumpkins in the back of your car, so your hands are free for loads of fun.
Weave your way through the corn maze, play in the sandpile, check out a variety of yard games, or try your hand at the giant pinball field.
Make sure you try a sip of their hot cider or hot chocolate to warm you up during a chilly afternoon visit, while you munch on some of their farm-made popcorn. If you are looking for a full lunch or early dinner, there are local food trucks on site.
- Address: 7691 Richmond Road, Toano, VA 23168
- Dates: open through Halloween, closed on Mondays.
Pick your pumpkin direct from the Pumpkinville Farm pumpkin field or their pumpkin yard. Hayrides, acorn maze or a variety of yard games are available, if you want to make a day of it. Afterwards, snap up a few fall decorations (gourds, squash, decorations, cornstalks, straw bales, etc.) in the farm shop.
Feel free to bring a picnic lunch or snack to eat between the activities. There are a scattering of picnic tables and Port-a-Johns on site.
- Address: 12523 Popes Head Road, Clifton, VA 20124
- Dates: Through October 31, everyday 10am -4pm
- Tickets: Preorder your tickets for a lot of fun at Whitehall Farms.
- Special Events: First Responders Day on November 1, 2020, 10am-4pm. This free event is for first responders, active and former military, and their families ONLY.
Take a wagon ride, and explore the barnyard animals (chickens, pigs and cows) after heading to the field for all your pumpkin needs. Families will enjoy walking the nature trail, playing lawn games like corn hole, and of course, oh-ing and ah-ing over the pumpkin launch.
For those who would like to have lunch, an afternoon snack, or dinner on-site, The Fermented Pig, which makes mouthwatering charcuterie, BBQ and even kombucha, will be able to satisfy all your needs.