It’s time to deck the halls and trim those trees, as we look for the best events and Christmas lights in Virginia Beach, VA this holiday season. Whether you are looking for indoor fun, photo moments with the kids or simply want to take a stroll on the beach, this thriving beach town has more than enough to fill a weekend in December (and even November!).
For anyone who has ever wondered where the Christmas events near me are located, we’ve got your list of things to do in Virginia Beach this holiday season.
Table of Contents
BayPort Credit Union Holiday Lights at the Beach
- Address: 2nd Street and Virginia Beach Boardwalk
- Dates: Second weekend in November through the first weekend in January
- Sunday – Thursday: 5:30pm- 10pm
- Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm- 11pm
- Cost: Advanced ticket purchase required.
- $17 Car
- $30 Mini Bus
- $50 Passenger Bus (25+)
Take a drive along Virginia Beach’s boardwalk through lighted archways, swimming fish and musical crabs. Be on the lookout for Santa and the 40-foot Christmas tree right on the beach too.
Virginia Beach Town Center
- Address: 4535 Commerce St, Virginia Beach, VA 23462
- Dates: Thanksgiving weekend through December 31st
Virginia Beach Town Center gets into the holiday spirit with a whole host of festivities to ring in the season. A Dancing Northern Lights Tree ‘dances’ nightly on the hour from 6pm-9pm. Stick around for the dancing ballerinas, elves, marching toy soldiers and musicians entertaining from inside life-size snow globes.
Santa’s Snow Globe offers kids a great way to share their wish lists in a safe environment in December via the “Candy Cane Communication” network in the Gingerbread Chalet where they can see, talk, and take selfies with Santa from the safety of his snow globe.
Holiday Selfie Stations are strewn throughout Town Center including a decorative ribbon display, holiday photo frame, St. Nicholas’s sleigh, a Christmas Wish Bridge and a Mistletoe Arch. Don’t miss the strolling sparkling ornament, Coeur de Noël (Heart of Christmas), a 503-pound enchanting piece with more than 11,000 LED lights.
Visit Scuba Santa at the Virginia Aquarium
- Address: 717 General Booth Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
- Dates: every Saturday and Sunday through Dec. 23rd at 10:30am
Watch Santa as he dives beneath the surface with spotted eagle rays and zebra sharks. Your kids will love walking through the Red Sea tunnel as Santa wishes all of their fishy friends a very Merry Christmas.
Pop in this winter for some Virginia Beach Whale Watching too!
Holi-Rays at the Virginia Aquarium
- Address: 717 General Booth Blvd, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
- Dates: first three weekends in December, doors open at 6pm
Grab your PJs and jump aboard the Aquarium Express, as you join the Virginia Aquarium staff the first three weekends in December (Saturdays and Sundays) for some after hours fun. Stroll through the winter wonderland of lights and under-the-sea holiday fun. Check out the holiday Aquarium train exhibit, grab selfies with Speckles and Sandy and wave hello to Santa. Best of all, you can bring your own stocking to fill with sweets and treats as you explore the aquarium.
Part of the Aquarium Express fun is the “Celebration Stations,” where you can learn about holiday traditions across the globe. Get your “train ticket” stamped at each station to earn a special gift at the end of your journey.
Christmas on Mansion Cross
- Address: Mansion Cross Lane, Virginia Beach, VA 23456
- Dates: Throughout December, Sunday to Thursday 5:30pm- 9:30pm and Friday-Saturday 5:30pm- 10:30pm
Stroll or drive past this row of homes decked out in 50,000+ lights synchronized to music. Donations accepted on site for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Add to your Virginia Christmas with these Christmas Events in Norfolk, VA
Back Bay’s Farmhouse Brewing Co. Holiday Events
- Address: 1805 Kempsville Road, Virginia Beach, VA
- Dates: Holiday Market – November 22, 28, and December 20 – 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Take part in this holiday farmers market and peruse the wares of local craft vendors.
- Grand Illumination – November 28, 2020, 11:00 AM – 10:00 PM
- Enjoy live music, pick up your Christmas tree and other holiday decorations. This event is free.
- Holiday Movie Trivia – December 10, 2020, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
Holiday Reveal at the Cavalier
- Address: 4200 Atlantic Ave, Virginia Beach, VA 23451
- Date: November 28, 2020
Make a day of enjoying the holiday decorations around the historic Cavalier hotel. Don’t miss the Richmond Ballet perform or Santa’s visit.
Outdoor Movies at Anderson’s
- Address: 1925 Fisher Arch, Virginia Beach
- Date: November 28, 2020 7:30 PM – Gates opening at 6:30 PM (advance admission) and 7:00 (general admission)
- Cost: $20 advance admission/ $25 admission at gate
Come out and enjoy an old fashion Drive-In showing of Elf.
BayPort Credit Union Surf-n-Santa 5-miler
- Address: Virginia Beach, VA
- Dates: weekend before Christmas
- Run off a few calories as you partake in the annual Surf-n-Santa 5-miler. Whether this year is virtual or in person with all of your running mates, you are sure to have a great time knowing you got in your miles this week… before eating more holiday cookies.
Headed to VA and need a hotel in Virginia Beach?
- Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront : free parking
- Hilton Garden Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront: Family rooms at affordable prices
- Residence Inn by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront : oceanfront suites
- Hampton Inn Virginia Beach Oceanfront North: 2020 TripAdvisor Travelers Choice + free breakfast
- The Historic Cavalier Hotel & Beach Club: luxury a few blocks off the beach
Looking for more? Search for a great deal on Booking.com!
Need a Virginia Beach Airbnb? These are our favorites + more HERE.
- Oceanfront Penthouse
- Oceanfront/Boardwalk – VB Studio
- VB Oceanfront Studio Balcony,Beach,Boardwalk, Pool
- Beach Paradise Studio on the Boardwalk w/Pool
- Beach Quarters Resort – The Continental Suite
Need more? Search for a great deal on vacation rentals below.