Grab the kids and head out to see the Christmas Lights in Hampton Roads, filled with colors, music and fun. But it’s not just lights you will see; Hampton, VA events include a boat parade, Hampton Wonder Walk and a few spots to take that perfect Christmas photo.
Close to Hampton, and Norfolk, VA, you will find the towns of Chesapeake, Newport News and Suffolk, Virginia, each with its own holiday traditions and Christmas magic. Kids will love wandering the neighborhoods, seeing houses decorated to the nines in Chesapeake, VA.
Newport News, VA events will bring out the child in the most ardent Scrooge when they step into the Virginia Living Museum to see the holiday lights or enjoy a mild-weather snowfall and crafts in the city center. Events in Suffolk, VA won’t be ignored though; they have quite a lot happening right in Market Park.
So, pack a bag and drive to Hampton Roads to experience all of the Christmas events, holiday light displays, botanical gardens and fun to be had this year with family and friends.
Table of Contents
- 1 Events in Hampton, VA
- 2 Events in Chesapeake, VA
- 3 Events in Newport News, VA
- 3.1 Nature Nights Holiday Lights
- 3.2 Winter Gingerland
- 3.3 Celebration in Lights
- 3.4 NlightN
- 3.5 Port Warwick Holiday Tree Lighting and Marketplace
- 3.6 Christmas Through the Ages
- 3.7 Holidays at Endview
- 3.8 Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
- 3.9 Stern Family Holiday Light Show
- 3.10 Outdoor Movies at Anderson’s
- 4 Events in Suffolk, VA
- 5 Pin it and Start Planning!
- 6 Looking for a Norfolk hotel? Check out a few of our favorites!
- 7 Our Favorite Airbnbs in Norfolk, VA
Events in Hampton, VA
Hampton Holly Days Parade
- Address: Carousel Park & Hampton Carousel, 602 Settlers Landing Rd., Hampton, VA 23669
- Date: December 12, 2020 6pm-7:30pm
Join in the fun and watch the Peninsula’s illuminated parade march on through. Have fun as local car clubs, bands, military groups, and of course, Santa Claus goes past.
Before the parade, enjoy the festive entertainment and ornament making from 1am-4pm at the Hampton Museum. You can also join Santa for a free ride on the Hampton Carousel from 1pm-6pm.
Hampton Holiday Wonder Walk
- Address: 413 W Mercury Blvd., Hampton, VA
- Dates: Dec 12-23, 2020
Wander through 2.25 miles of a glow-lighted trail with a few animated features you won’t want to miss. Entrances and parking for the event are at the Hampton Coliseum and Air Power Park.
Selfie Season at Peninsula Town Center
- Address: Peninsula Town Center, 4410 E. Claiborne Square, Hampton, VA, 23666
Join in on the joy of taking selfies with a variety of backdrops throughout the holiday season.
- November 27, 2020 – Gingerbread Family
- November 28, 2020 – Santa’s Naughty and Nice List
- December 5, 2020 – Santa’s Sleigh and Reindeer
- December 12, 2020 – Giant Snow Globe
- December 19, 2020 – Ski Village Chair Lift
Hampton Boat Parade
- Address: Downtown Waterfront, you can see it anywhere along the Hampton River
- Dates: December
Join the fun as illuminated power boats and sail boats take to the river for a boat parade like nothing else you will see at Christmas in Virginia.
Coliseum Central Holiday Extravaganza
- Address: Claiborne Square, Hampton, VA 23666
- Dates: November 21 – December 20, 2020
Stop in and enjoy the daily giveaways, events, and so much more. Storytime with city officials, as well as drive-in movies are also worth planning your holiday trip around this year.
Phoebus Holiday Illumination
- Address: Mellen Street, Hampton, VA
- Date: First Friday in December, 5pm-9pm
Enjoy a free cup of hot chocolate as you visit with Santa, listen to the local carolers sing your favorite carols, and shop the boutique stores along Mellen Street. The tree lighting will be at 8pm.
Grab our guide to Christmas Lights in Virginia Beach, VA
Events in Chesapeake, VA
Holt Family Lights
- Address: 705 Tallahassee Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23322
- Dates: Nightly from the weekend before Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve, 5:30pm- 10pm
Drive by and enjoy the inflatables, music and lights. This is in a neighborhood, so please do not disrupt the neighboring homes when you drive by the see the lights.
Piazza Family Christmas Lights
- Address: 913 Pleasant Ridge Drive, Chesapeake, VA 23322
- Dates: End of November 2020 through the first weekend of January; 5:30pm-9pm, Sunday – Thursday and 5:30pm-10pm Friday – Saturday
Sit in your car in front of the Piazza’s house as you listen to the synchronized music and watch the 20,000+ lights keep the beat.
- Address: Priest’s, 820 Sydenham Blvd Chesapeake, VA 23322
- Dates: End of November 2020 – January 1, 2021, 5pm- 9:30pm Sunday to Thursday, 5pm– 10:30pm Friday to Saturday
Watch as the Priest’s house comes to life with lights and characters all synchronized to holiday music.
Scroggins Family Christmas
- Address: 905 Deer Crossing, Chesapeake, VA 23323
- Dates: November 27 – December 31, 2020 5pm- 10pm nightly
Woodland Christmas Wonderland
- Address: 4028 Woodland Dr, Chesapeake, VA 23321
Free to the public, the the Williford family puts on this amazing Christmas light display that is nothing short of magical. Donations go towards the Portsmouth Humane Society, to help area animals to be safe and healthy while they look for their forever home.
Sheely Family Lights
- Address: 703 Ava Ct, Chesapeake, VA 23322
- Dates: November 26, 2020 – January 1, 2021
Grab our guide to all of the Norfolk VA events
Events in Newport News, VA
Nature Nights Holiday Lights
- Address: Virginia Living Museum, 524 J Clyde Morris Blvd, Newport News, VA 23601
- Dates: Thanksgiving weekend through the first weekend in January, Thursday – Saturdays from 5:30pm- 8:30pm
- Cost: $9 – Members, $12 – Nonmembers
Stroll through twinkling lights throughout the Dinosaur Discovery Villages and along the outdoor trail.
This holiday experience will be a memory maker as you sip your hot chocolate, eat delicious cookies, and suck on that peppermint candy cane you’ve been craving all year. Glow toys and glow sticks are available for purchase. Add on a Planetarium Show: Mystery of the Christmas Star or holiday laser light show for even more fun during Christmas in Newport News, VA.
- Address: Denbigh Community Center, 15198 Warwick Blvd, Newport News, VA 23608
- Dates: First weekend of November through New Year’s Eve, Monday through Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturdays, 9am-2pm
Walk into the Denbigh Community Center and find yourself transported into a Gingerbread Wonderland. It’s free to explore, so go early, go late, and of course, go often!
Celebration in Lights
- Address: Newport News Park, at the intersection of Ft. Eustis Blvd. and Jefferson Ave.
- Dates: Thanksgiving through January 1st, 5:30pm- 10pm daily
- Cost: Advanced Ticket Purchase from Newport News Visitor Center at Newport News Park – $10
- Monday – Thursday – $12 per car
- Friday – Sunday – $15 per car
- Bus – $75
For 28 years, Newport News has been lighting up the park with over 350 displays along three miles of scenic candy canes, reindeer arches, Christmas trees and Santa’s Kingdom.
- Address: City Center at Oyster Point Fountain Plaza
- Dates: December 5, 2020 – January 1, 2021 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM
The Fountain Plaza has turned into a festive winter wonderland that features a snow shower and light show every half hour. Make sure you grab a seat at the fountain for the perfect holiday photo memory. The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center will give out treats and make-and-take crafts to provide kids with their first gift of the holiday season during the second week of December.
Port Warwick Holiday Tree Lighting and Marketplace
- Address: Port Warwick, William Styron Square, Loftis Boulevard, Newport News, VA 23606
- Date: Saturday after Thanksgiving, 10am-5pm
Spend the afternoon at Styron Square enjoying the festive entertainment. This is your best chance to shop for those hard to buy for friends and family at the Holiday Marketplace where local vendors will be displaying their ware. Don’t forget to a cup of hot cider or hot chocolate and delicious food to stay warm while you wander.
Christmas Through the Ages
- Address: Lee Hall Mansion, 163 Yorktown Road, Newport News, VA 23603
- Dates: Throughout December, Thursday – Saturday 10am- 4pm(Closed Christmas Eve and Day)
- Cost: $8 Adults/ $7 Seniors/ $6 Children (7-18)
Turn back the calendar to the 19th and 20th centuries as you take a holiday tour through Lee Hall Mansion, a Victorian-era mansion.
Holidays at Endview
- Address: Endview Plantation, 362 Yorktown Road, Newport News, VA 23603
- Dates: December 3 – 31, 2020 Thursday – Saturday 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM (Closed Christmas Eve and Day)
- Cost: $8 Adults / $7 Seniors/ $6 Children (7-18)
Take a holiday tour of this historic plantation home and learn about some of the holiday customs through a guided tour.
Time your tour right and participate in the natural wreath making workshop on December 5 and 8th. Private sessions with St. Nick are also available on December 10th and 11th.
Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
- Address: Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center, 2410 Wickham Avenue, Newport News, VA 23607
- Date: December
Enjoy dance performances and musical concerts throughout Christmas in Newport News, VA when you head to Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center.
Stern Family Holiday Light Show
- Address: 108 Sheffield Way, Newport News, VA 23603
The synchronized light show beats to the rhythm of holiday songs throughout the night. Donations accepted for the Virginia Peninsula Foodbank.
Outdoor Movies at Anderson’s
- Address: 11250 Jefferson Ave, Newport News. VA 23601
- Date: Saturday after Thanksgiving, 7:30pm – Gates opening at 6:30 PM (advance admission) and 7:00 (general admission)
- Cost: $20 advance admission/ $25 admission at gate
Come out and enjoy an old fashion drive-in showing of Elf.
Events in Suffolk, VA
Suffolk Grand Illumination Ceremony
- Address: Market Park at Seaboard Station Railroad Museum, 326 North Main Street, Suffolk, VA 23434
- Date: Friday before Thanksgiving, 6pm- 8:30pm
Join in the holiday fun at Market Park in Suffolk, VA.
- 6:15pm- Tree lighting
- 6:20pm- Santa arrives
Enjoy listening to local choirs sing your holiday favorites, take a free horse and carriage ride, and get a delicious treat from area vendors. Be sure to stop in and visit the Seaboard Station Railroad Museum.
Sleepy Hole Park Light Display
- Address: 4616 Sleepy Hole Rd, Suffolk, VA 23435
- Dates: weekend before Thanksgiving through December 30th, 5:30pm to 9:30pm (closed: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day)
Pin it and Start Planning!
Looking for a Norfolk hotel? Check out a few of our favorites!
- Hilton Norfolk THE MAIN: #1 rated on TripAdvisor
- Norfolk Waterside Marriott hotel: indoor pool, great Marriott Club amenities and close to everything
- Residence Inn Norfolk Downtown: perfect for families who need a full kitchen
- The Inn at Four Eleven York: Cute B&B with free parking and Wi-Fi
- Courtyard Norfolk Downtown:Budget-friendly hotel right downtown
- Sheraton Norfolk Waterside Hotel:outdoor pool, bike rentals and pet-friendly
Still need more options? Search for a great deal on Booking.com!
Our Favorite Airbnbs in Norfolk, VA
While you may not get the pool, these Airbnbs give you plenty of space for the whole family. You can also save money by making meals in your full kitchen at these Superhost properties.