Blueberry season is one of our favorite times of year. Not only do we love to eat them fresh off the blueberry bush, but we throw them in cereal, make blueberry pies, fresh ice cream and more tasty treats.
When it comes to blueberry farms in Maryland, there are several U-Pick options for friends and families to enjoy together. Come ready to pick, sample and load up, as many u pick farms have farmer’s markets too.
Table of Contents
- 1 When to harvest fruit in Maryland
- 2 When is picking blueberry season?
- 3 Tips for Visiting a U Pick Blueberry Farm
- 4 Blueberry Farm Etiquette
- 5 What to wear blueberry picking
- 6 Blueberry Picking Near Me
- 7 Blueberry Gardens
- 8 Butler’s Orchard
- 9 Swann Farms Produce and PYO Berries
- 10 Hybridoma Organic Fruit Farm
- 11 Berry Daze
- 12 Weber’s Farm at Peachberry Farm
- 13 Catoctin Mountain Orchard
- 14 Glade Link Farms
- 15 Pryor’s Orchard
- 16 Larriland Farm
- 17 Shaw Orchards
- 18 Farmathome
- 19 Homestead Farm
- 20 Lewis Orchards
- 21 Godfrey’s Farm
- 22 Milburn Orchards
- 23 Walnut Springs Farm
- 24 Emily’s Produce
- 25 Lockbriar Farm
- 26 Family Affair Farm
- 27 Garden of Eden
- 28 Assateague Farm & Nursery
- 29 First Fruits Orchard
- 30 Kings Berries
- 31 Litton’s Produce and Berries
- 32 Gardenhour Orchards
- 33 Frog Eye Blueberry Farm
- 34 Holiday Memories Farm
- 35 Shaw Orchards
- 36 Blueberry picking farms that may be closed
- 37 Love it? Pin it for Later!
When to harvest fruit in Maryland
|May 15-June 20||strawberries|
|June 10-July 10||cherries (sweet)|
|June 15-July 10||raspberries (black & red)|
|June 15-July 15||cherries (sour)|
|June 20-Aug. 1||blueberries|
|July 5-Aug. 1||blackberries|
|July 5-Sept. 20||peaches|
|July 15-Sept. 15||cantaloupes, plums|
|July 25-Aug. 25||nectarines|
|July 25-Oct. 1||watermelons|
|Aug. 1-Sept. 10||blackberries (thornless)|
|Aug. 15-Sept. 20||grapes (table & wine)|
|Aug. 15-Oct. 15||pears|
|Aug. 15-Nov. 5||apples|
|Aug. 31-Sept. 25||raspberries (red)|
|Sept. 5-Dec. 15||sweet potatoes|
When is picking blueberry season?
You’ll find blueberries in season from about mid-June through July in Maryland. While strawberry picking happens in May in a huge number of farms across the state, blueberry farms aren’t quite as prevalent.
Do your research before you go to a blueberry picking farm, and confirm that the farm is still open and the blueberries are ripe and ready to harvest.
Tips for Visiting a U Pick Blueberry Farm
Naturally, when you visit a blueberry farm, you want to pick blueberries that are bursting with flavor. Here are a few things to look out for before you head to the blueberry bushes.
- Pick firm, plump and smooth-skinned blueberries.
- Size doesn’t matter. It’s all about color. Look for a deep purple-blue to blue-black colored berry.
- Find a row with the least amount of people in it, even if it is a bit farther from others. Blueberry farms tend to be large, so you will get more berries if you move away from the crowd.
Blueberry Farm Etiquette
- Many berry farms do not allow pets. Ask before you bring your dog to a farm.
- Children are welcome at most farms, but please keep an eye on them and help them pick. Staff are happy to teach children how to pick blueberries.
- Pay for what you eat. Gorging yourself in the blueberry fields and not paying for those berries doesn’t help the farmer stay in business. Berries should also be washed before eating.
- Don’t eat berries off of the ground.
- Pick only ripe fruit. White berries = not ready to eat.
- Do not eat or drink in the fields. Keep the farm clean of trash and debris.
- Respect the farmers who ask you to use their own containers. This is for health and safety, as well as easier weighing when you are done.
- Please respect any No U-pick signs or fencing around the farm. Not all fields are ready for you.
- Stay off of any farm equipment you encounter, unless otherwise stated. Farm equipment is not there for your Instagram moment!
What to wear blueberry picking
- Comfy shoes or boots are preferred as fields can be wet from rain.
- Clothing you don’t mind getting stains on.
- Pick an outfit that will protect you from the sun, but also keep you cool in the summer heat.
- Wear sunscreen!
Blueberry Picking Near Me
If you are looking for blueberry picking near you, make sure you double check the farm’s Facebook page or website first. See if the berries are in bloom, and fields are open. Some farms allow their blueberry fields to rest for a year before allowing people to do U Pick blueberries.
- Location: 237 Ashton Road (route 108), Ashton, MD 20861
- Location: 22222 Davis Mill Rd, Germantown, MD 20876
Swann Farms Produce and PYO Berries
- Location: 7740 Swan Lane, Owings, MD 20736
Hybridoma Organic Fruit Farm
- Location: 13734 Baldwin Mill Road, Baldwin, MD 21013
- Location: 970 Upper Pindell Road, Lothian, MD 20711
Weber’s Farm at Peachberry Farm
- Location: 11409 Harford Rd, Glen Arm, MD 21057
Catoctin Mountain Orchard
- Location: US Route 15, 15036 North Franklinville Road, Thurmont, MD 21788
Glade Link Farms
- Location: 12270 Woodsboro Pike, Keymar, MD 21757
- Location: 13841-B Pryor Road, Thurmont, MD 21788
- Location: 2415 Woodbine Rd, Woodbine, MD 21797
- Location: 5594 Norrisville Rd, White Hall, MD 21161 (on PA/MD state line)
- Location: 15220 Partnership Road, Poolesville, MD 20837
- Location: 15604 Sugarland Rd, Poolesville, MD 20837
- Location: 18901 Peach Tree Rd, Dickerson, MD 20842
- Location: 302 Leager Road, Sudlersville, MD 21668
- Location: 1495 Appleton Road, Elkton, MD, 21921
Walnut Springs Farm
- Location: 3910 Blue Ball Road, Elkton, MD 21921
- Location: 2206 Church Creek Road, Cambridge, MD 21613
- Location: 10051 Worton Road, Chestertown, MD 21620
Family Affair Farm
- Location: 30091 Rabbit Hill Road, Easton, MD 21601
Garden of Eden
- Location: 25850 Pemberton DR, Salisbury, MD 21801
Assateague Farm & Nursery
- Location: 11832 Assateague Road, Berlin, MD 21811
First Fruits Orchard
- Location: 8416 Harmony Rd, Denton, MD 21629
- Location: 24029 Meadows Drive, Ridgely, MD 21660
Litton’s Produce and Berries
- Location: 17435 Lappans Road, Fairplay, MD 21733
- Location: 22511 Gardenhour Road, Smithsburg, MD 21783
Frog Eye Blueberry Farm
- Location: 19600 Frog Eye Road, Knoxville, MD 21758
Holiday Memories Farm
- Location: 4848 Muddy Creek Road, West River, MD 20778
- Location: 5594 Norrisville Road, White Hall, MD 21161
Did we miss your favorite Blueberry Farm?
Tell us in the comments!
Blueberry picking farms that may be closed
- Johnson’s Berry Farm, 17000 Swanson Road, Upper Marlboro, MD
- Wright’s Farm, 9300 Old Railroad Road, Mardela Springs, MD 21837