Williamsburg, Virginia is best known for its impractical woolen wear, horse carriage rides, ghost stories and wooden swords. What you might not know is that Williamsburg, VA restaurants have come a long way since you visited with your class back in elementary or middle school.
Chefs are scooping up Virginia farm produce for their seasonal menu, hitting the coast for fresh locally-sourced seafood, and importing jamon direct from Spain.
Restaurants in Williamsburg, VA are pushing beyond the classic American crab cakes you will find in the area, elevating shrimp and grits and creating unique dining experiences to enjoy throughout the year.
The locals have figured this out. Now it’s your turn.
WILLIAMSBURG VA RESTAURANTS NOT TO SKIPS
My family and I went down to Williamsburg to pop into the usual spots– Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and a new event, the Williamsburg Taste Festival.
I honestly wasn’t expecting much from the food. Everyone has a “culinary scene” and “beer trail,” but the Williamsburg restaurants have stepped up their game.
You need to know where to look, but once you do, you may be surprised that there is more to this colonial icon than turkey legs, burgers and your typical blasé tourist food.
Thanks to the spring Taste Festival, we were able to sample a lot of area restaurants all at once. We still managed to hit a few brick and mortars for a little quality control too.
WILLIAMSBURG BAKERIES AND CUPCAKES
- Address: 5248 Rockingham Dr, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Get the strawberry cupcake. If you don’t, we can’t be friends anymore.
- Address: 1220 Richmond Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185
My new friend Bob in Williamsburg says that they have the best carrot cake cupcake ever. He is not a man to dismiss when it comes to cupcakes.
- Address: 407 W Duke of Gloucester St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Amazing key lime tarts. Pro tip: Pastries and bread are half price after 5pm.
WILLIAMSBURG VA BREAKFAST AND BRUNCH SPOTS
Aromas Coffeehouse and Café
- Address: 431 Prince George St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Locals will point you here if you ask around.
- Address: 136 Francis St E, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Good for a special Sunday Brunch. Make sure you order a smoothie and the donut holes. Definitely our favorites on the menu.
- Address: 747 Scotland St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
You must try the blackberry lavender mocha. It’s an intriguing treat.
Food for Thought
- Address:1647 Richmond Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Allergies are taken very seriously at this comfort food joint.
- Address: 627 Merrimac Trl, Williamsburg, VA 23185
A local staple if you like a good, old-fashion greasy spoon diner.
Williamsburg VA Lunch Ideas
The Cheese Shop
- Address: 410 W Duke of Gloucester St, Williamsburg, VA 23185.
A very popular grocery style shop with a deli counter, and for good reason. Be prepared to wait a bit for your sandwich. It will be worth it though.
- Address: 761 Scotland St, Williamsburg, VA 23185.
Green Leafe Cafe
- Address: 765 Scotland St, Williamsburg, VA 23185.
DINNER IN WILLIAMSBURG VA
La Tienda- Tapas Bar and Market
- Address: 1325 Jamestown Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185
They are importing jamon (cured meat!) direct from Spain, as well as other meat products and wine. Check hours for dining, or just pop into the shop to bring items home.
Amber Ox Public House
- Address: 521 Prince George St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Make a reservations on the weekend. This place gets packed! But you never need a reservation to sit in the massive bar area, where kids are actually welcome.
Le Yaca French Restaurant
- Address: 1430 High St, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Opus 9 Steakhouse
- Address: 5143 Main St, Williamsburg, VA 23188
- Address: 5800 Wessex Hundred, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Go for a tasting, but stay for lunch and dinner when time allows.
Blue Talon Bistro
- Address: 420 Prince George St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
- Address: 410 W Duke of Gloucester St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Berrets Seafood Restaurant and Taphouse Grill
- Address: Colonial Williamsburg’s Merchants Square, 199 S Boundary St, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Dig into local wine, beer, fish, meat and produce at the Taphouse Grill, located right in Colonial Williamsburg’s Merchants Square. There are a number of vegetarian opens for those who don’t eat meat or fish. Outdoor seating is available… and everyone will tell you to get the clam chowder.
This post is part of a paid partnership with Visit Williamsburg. As always, my opinions are my own. When they aren’t you will be the first to know.
Pin it and Start Planning!
Williamsburg VA Planning Guide
Best Williamsburg VA Hotels
Looking for a hotel in Williamsburg, VA? Check out the following!
- Kingsmill Resort: Condo style resort with golf and swimming pool
- Williamsburg Inn: 5-star Regency-style luxury in the center of Colonial Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Lodge: Boutique hotel with suites and family rooms
- Best Western Williamsburg Historic District: Affordable hotel within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg
- Cedars of Williamsburg Bed and Breakfast: Adorable B&B close to all the attractions
Looking for more? Search for a great deal on Booking.com!
Our Favorite Williamsburg VA Airbnb
- A place to call home | 2BR in Williamsburg: 5 guests · 2 bedrooms
- The 1918 Williamsburg Cottage: 4 guests · 2 bedrooms
- Westgate Historic Williamsburg One Bedroom: 4 guests · 1 bedroom
- Wyndham Patriot’s Place: 6 guests · 2 bedrooms
- 4BDR/4BA SLEEPS 12! Perfect for large families!: 12 guests · 4 bedrooms
Click for more Williamsburg VA Airbnb
Williamsburg Rental Car
- Grab the best rates on a Williamsburg Rental Car HERE