Celebrate the Festival of Lights with the lighting of the menorah, family-friendly activities, and delicious latkes at these Hanukkah events.
Hanukkah, also known as the Festival of Lights, is a Jewish festival that celebrates the recovery of Jerusalem – specifically, the rededication of the Holy Temple. The holiday is celebrated by people all over the world by lighting a single candle on the menorah for each night, as well as by reading scripture, singing special hymns, playing dreidel games, and eating delicious foods with loved ones.
All of us in the DMV love a good holiday and we know how to celebrate them all in style. Here are a couple of ways you can celebrate Hanukkah around DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
Table of Contents
- 1 National Menorah Lighting at the White House
- 2 The Weinberg Jewish Community Center: Chanukah Wonderland
- 3 Latkes and Vodka: A Hanukkah Dinner Theater and Cabaret
- 4 Jewish Museum of Maryland at the Herbert Bearman Campus
- 5 Chanukah Joy at Westfield Annapolis Mall
- 6 Jean Meltzer – The Matzah Ball
- 7 Baltimore Hebrew Congregation: Chanukah Service and Dinner
- 8 Menorah Parade and City Dock Lighting
- 9 Baltimore Supper Club: Chanukah Latke Party
- 10 National Museum of American Jewish Military History: Hanukkah Party
- 11 Fired Up! A Beth Tfiloh Chanukah Celebration at Beth Tfiloh Congregation
- 12 Lubavitch Center for Jewish Education: The 8th Night of Chanukah Concert
National Menorah Lighting at the White House
- Address: The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500 | Website
Every year, thousands of people attend the National Menorah Lighting at the White House. It’s a highly anticipated event that comprises the lighting of the candle, musical performances, special guests, and other ways for the entire family to celebrate. Prominent guests such as the President, Vice President, and other international dignitaries and celebrities have participated in the ceremony throughout the years.
The Weinberg Jewish Community Center: Chanukah Wonderland
- Address: 5700 Park Heights Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215 | Website
The Weinberg Jewish Community Center hosts several holiday events and programs throughout the year, including Chanukah! The celebration is filled with fun activities for the entire family, and they even have Chanukah-related events leading up to the big day such as Chanukah cooking classes for families where you can learn how to make delicious latkes, spiced apple-pear sauce, and cinnamon sour cream!
Latkes and Vodka: A Hanukkah Dinner Theater and Cabaret
- Address: Congregation Beth El, 8215 Old Georgetown Road, Bethesda, MD 20814 | Website
Head to Congregation Beth El for a night of Hanukkah fun, complete with comedy sketches, musical performances of popular folk songs, and much more. The concert is a part of their seasonal series and tickets include dinner and drinks.
Jewish Museum of Maryland at the Herbert Bearman Campus
- Address: 15 Lloyd Street, Baltimore, MD 21202 | Website
Celebrate Hanukkah at the Herbert Bearman Campus’ Jewish Museum of Maryland this year! Not only will the entire family be able to enjoy the special festivities and treats, but you’ll also be able to explore all of the exhibits. The museum has two historic synagogues within it, as well as over 68,000 photographs and 12,000 objects and memorabilia. It is a fun, yet educational experience, which will take you into the lives of Jewish communities in Maryland.
Chanukah Joy at Westfield Annapolis Mall
- Address: 2002 Annapolis Mall, Annapolis, MD 21401 | Website
You can find unique and creative ways to celebrate Chanukah with the kids at Westfield Annapolis Mall! Every year, the mall comes together with the Jewish community and passes out holiday kits filled with crafts, kosher treats, and more. The date and times vary per month, so check their events calendar to plan ahead.
Jean Meltzer – The Matzah Ball
- Address: Bards Alley Bookshop, 110 Church St NW, Vienna, VA | Website
Author and public figure Jean Meltzer is coming to celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, and all the other holidays with you and your family at the Bards Alley Bookshop in Virginia. The fun starts at 6 PM on December 14th, 2021. You can meet the author and pick up a copy of her latest book, The Matzah Ball, as holiday gifts for your friends and family.
Baltimore Hebrew Congregation: Chanukah Service and Dinner
- Address: 7401 Park Heights Avenue, Pikesville, MD 21208 | Website
The Baltimore Hebrew Congregation invites members of the community to join in on their annual Chanukah service and dinner. Bring your family menorah along, light candles together, and join services in their sanctuary. There will be lots of family-friendly activities and a delicious kosher dinner will be served as well.
Menorah Parade and City Dock Lighting
- Address: 98 Clifford Blvd, Annapolis, MD 21401 | Website
The Chabad of Anne Arundel County has a memorable Hanukkah experience that the entire family will enjoy. Held at sunset in Annapolis’ City Dock, you can witness the bright displays of the car parade, watch the lighting of the giant menorah, and eat delicious hot latkes to warm up on the chilly winter night. It’s hours of fun for the entire family.
Baltimore Supper Club: Chanukah Latke Party
The Baltimore Supper Club is a cooking club for people who love to cook (and eat), no matter if they’re a beginner or an expert chef. They host tons of events throughout the year and their Chanukah Latke Party is a wonderful way to celebrate the day. There will be the lighting of the menorah, demonstrations on perfecting your latke recipe, and of course, eating all the latkes everyone makes!
National Museum of American Jewish Military History: Hanukkah Party
- Address: 1811 R St NW, Washington, DC 20009 | Website
The National Museum of American Jewish Military History is a wonderful way to celebrate the holidays with friends and family. Their annual Hanukkah Party gives you a chance to explore the museum and its numerous displays and artifacts, all while listening to traditional songs and eating latkes and jelly doughnuts.
Fired Up! A Beth Tfiloh Chanukah Celebration at Beth Tfiloh Congregation
- Address: 3300 Old Court Road, Baltimore, MD 21208 | Website
The Beth Tfiloh Congregation will host their annual Fired Up! Chanukah Celebration at the end of November this year. They have a lot of fun activities and performances lined up but it’s the lighting of their giant menorah that is stunning. You can feast on Chanukah treats like homemade latkes as you enjoy the fireworks display during this amazing celebration.
Lubavitch Center for Jewish Education: The 8th Night of Chanukah Concert
- Address: 770 Howes Ln, Columbia, MD 21044 | Website
Presented by the Lubavitch Center for Jewish Education in Columbia, the 8th Night of Chanukah Concert is a highly anticipated annual event. You can witness performances by some of the greatest vocal talents in Jewish music such as Shlomo Simcha, all while partaking in fun family activities, enjoying a Grand Menorah lighting, and eating plate after plate of delicious kosher food.
Looking for a Washington DC Hotel?
- Hotel Hive – Affordable, trendy, pet-friendly hotel
- Eaton Hotel – Stay in the heart of DC
- Four Seasons Hotel Washington DC – DC luxury at it’s best
- Kimpton Hotel George – Great for families and pets
- Willard InterContinental Washington – Historic hotel right near the White House