Nature and art skip hand in hand when you visit the Annmarie Sculpture Garden and Arts Center in Maryland. Just an hour outside of Washington, D.C., this sculpture garden is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. For those who love fairies and a bit of whimsy in their gardens, this is the perfect day trip from D.C. for you.
In our effort to highlight all of the best art and gardens in Washington, D.C, we spoke with Joann Foltz, Marketing Director at the Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center, to share what makes this sculpture garden so special, why you should visit and what you need to know before you go.
Table of Contents
- 1 Where is the Annmarie Sculpture Garden located?
- 2 What topics does the sculpture garden cover?
- 3 What is your sculpture garden’s claim to fame?
- 4 What is your favorite exhibit or artifact in the museum?
- 5 What kinds of special exhibits and events do you host throughout the year?
- 6 Are there guided tours available?
- 7 How much time should someone plan to spend at the museum?
- 8 What should someone bring with them and what items are not allowed in the museum?
- 9 Is photography allowed inside (without flash)?
- 10 What should parents of young children know before visiting the museum?
- 11 What’s the coolest item for sale in the gift shop?
- 12 What should teachers planning a field trip know before reaching out to you?
- 13 What else should a visitor know before visiting?
- 14 What are your normal days and hours of operation?
- 15 Is the museum accessible?
- 16 Does the museum have a bag check or coat room?
- 17 Is there parking available?
- 18 Is there an admission fee?
- 19 Love it? Pin it for later!
Where is the Annmarie Sculpture Garden located?
Location: Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center, 13470 Dowell Rd., Solomons, Maryland (just under one hour outside DC)
What topics does the sculpture garden cover?
The Annmarie Sculpture Garden & Arts Center Arts Building houses two galleries with rotating exhibits featuring local, regional and national artists. The sculpture garden features over 30 works, including permanent and pieces on loan from the Smithsonian Institution’s Hirshhorn Museum and the National Gallery of Art.
What is your sculpture garden’s claim to fame?
The Annmarie Sculpture Garden is a celebration of art and nature. Visitors will unique surprises as they walk around our quarter mile wooded path. Don’t miss our Whimsical Fairy Lolly natural play space, which is a favorite among families.
Our artLAB creative re-use space offers creative activities and inspiration for all ages. artLAB-to-go take home kits are available for those who wan to have a little creative fun at home.
What is your favorite exhibit or artifact in the museum?
During the summer, our Fairies in the Garden exhibit is open, featuring hidden fairy and gnome houses throughout the garden. A map is available for download to help visitors with their hunt. Don’t miss the Council Ring, a majestic stone sculpture and a space that brings peace to visitors.
What kinds of special exhibits and events do you host throughout the year?
We produce many events throughout the year, including:
- Artsfest: Art & Music Festival
- Annmarie Garden in Lights (Holiday Light Art Experience)
- Fairy & Gnome Festival
- Mud Day
- and more…
Are there guided tours available?
We offer docent-led tours for groups who want to tour the gardens and art center.
How much time should someone plan to spend at the museum?
Visitors should plan on sending an hour and up to a full day at the sculpture garden.
What should someone bring with them and what items are not allowed in the museum?
- Picnic lunch
- Bug spray in the summer
- Pets on a leash are allowed outside, but not in the building or at special events
Is photography allowed inside (without flash)?
Yes, photography is allowed both inside and out.
What should parents of young children know before visiting the museum?
Kids love our Annmarie Sculpture Garden. We have activities during daily visits, including make a natural wand during the summer, build a natural fairy house, artLAB-to-go kits and interactive activities on the path. Our arts building features a Nature Nook with rotating displays featuring the natural world at Annmarie Sculpture Garden.
What’s the coolest item for sale in the gift shop?
Definitely check out our Rock Birds, beautiful, one-of-a-kind outdoor decorative sculptures.
What should teachers planning a field trip know before reaching out to you?
We have wonderful options available for all ages. Check our website for more details and to book a school field trip: annmariegarden.org
What else should a visitor know before visiting?
Be ready to explore, have fun and be inspired!
What are your normal days and hours of operation?
Open daily from 10am-5pm (check annmariegarden.org for a few closed days throughout the year)
Is the museum accessible?
Yes, our arts building has an elevator and the outside sculpture garden and grounds have paved walking paths
Does the museum have a bag check or coat room?
Is there parking available?
Is there an admission fee?
- Summer, suggested donation of $7/car
- Annmarie Members: FREE
- Child (5 & under): FREE
- Youth (6-17): $3
- Adult (18 & up): $5
- Senior (65 & older): $4
- Military (w/ ID): $4