With the 4th of July weekend quickly approaching, you will want to be prepared for a weekend full of patriotic parades, exciting celebrations, the best fireworks, and family fun across historic landmarks, small and large towns in Northern Virginia and Maryland, as well as in the center of Washington DC.
Use the guide below to make your 4th of July plans to see the fireworks and various holiday celebrations around the Washington, D.C. area. Pack your bags or picnic basket and plan an entire weekend celebrating Independence Day.
4th of july fireworks near me
Table of Contents
- 1 4th of July Events in Washington, D.C.
- 2 4th of July Weekend Events Near Me in Northern Virginia
- 2.1 Mount Vernon
- 2.2 Workhouse Arts Center
- 2.3 Star Spangled 4th
- 2.4 Lake Fairfax Fourth of July Celebration
- 2.5 Fairfax’s Annual Independence Day Parade
- 2.6 Fairfax Fireworks
- 2.7 4th of July Hometown Celebration
- 2.8 Herndon 4th of July Fireworks
- 2.9 Leesburg Independence Day Celebration
- 2.10 Manassas – Celebrate America
- 2.11 4th of July at Signal Hill Park
- 2.12 Ice Cream Drive-thru
- 2.13 July 4th in Middleburg
- 2.14 Ol’ Time 4th of July Celebration
- 2.15 Vienna Sprinklers and Sparklers and Fireworks Celebration
- 2.16 Dale City Independence Day Parade & Family Fun Day
- 2.17 4th of July Stroller Striders
- 2.18 Ashburn Village Fireworks
- 3 4th of July Weekend Events Near Me in Maryland
- 3.1 Howard County’s July 4th Fireworks
- 3.2 July 4th Parking Lot Party and FREE Fireworks Display
- 3.3 Chesapeake Beach Fireworks over The Bay
- 3.4 Independence Day Parade and Celebration
- 3.5 Mount Airy Fireworks
- 3.6 2021 Parade of Houses
- 3.7 Six Flags America
- 3.8 Laurel, Maryland Pre-Independence Day Festivities
- 4 Pin it and Start Celebrating!
4th of July Events in Washington, D.C.
Washington DC fireworks
National Mall Fireworks
- Time: 9:09 – 9:26 PM July 4th
The National Mall fireworks display will light up the night sky from around the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. You can see them from a variety of locations in both the capital and NoVa. Some of our favorite places to watch the fireworks from if you don’t want to fight the crowds around the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, and Lincoln Memorials are:
- President’s Park
- Gravelly Point
- Washington National Cathedral
- U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial
- East Potomac Park’s Hains Point
- Lady Bird Johnson Park
- Netherlands Carillon
- Cardozo High School
- U.S. Air Force Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery
- Daingerfield Island’s Washington Sailing Marina
- U.S. Supreme Court Building’s oval plaza
You can even choose to watch the fireworks from the Potomac River if you book your ticket through City Cruises, Embark DC, or Monumental Boat Tours. For those who want some exercise before watching the fireworks, take your bike or walk along the Mount Vernon Trail and enjoy the booming view from the trail.
A Capitol Fourth Concert
- Address: West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol, E. Capitol Street and First Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20004
- Time: 8:00 – 9:30 PM
If you do come to the National Mall to enjoy the fireworks, come early and enjoy the patriotic concert, A Capitol Fourth.
This concert is also broadcast live for those tuning in on the American Forces Network and at home to enjoy.
Wherever you watch from, the view of the Washington, D.C. skyline lit up by exploding fireworks, silhouetting the memorials and monuments will be like nothing you have seen before.
Capitol Hill July 4 Parade
- Address: Barracks Row on Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
- Date and Time: July 4 – 10:00 AM
Come out to Barracks Row and celebrate the nation’s birthday at The Capitol Hill Community’s 4th of July Parade. This parade has been a local tradition for nearly 20 years.
Come out and watch local organizations, groups, schools, and marching bands take to Barracks Row from Eighth and I Streets SE to the Eastern Market Metro Plaza.
The kids will love snatching up candy thrown out by many, including the Capitol Hill BID Men in Blue troop.
4th of July Weekend Events Near Me in Northern Virginia
- Address: 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway, Mount Vernon, VA 22121
- Time: July 4 – 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
What more appropriate place could you pick to celebrate the nation’s independence than at Mount Vernon?
Those who wish not to be out after dark should head to Mount Vernon to enjoy their daytime firework display. During the event, you can meet General George Washington, witness the Naturalization ceremony, participate in all the regular Mount Vernon events, and enjoy live music by the National Concert Band and entertainment throughout the day.
Workhouse Arts Center
- Address: 9518 Workhouse Way, Lorton, VA 22079
- Date and Time: July 2 – 5:00 – 10:00 PM
Visit the Workhouse Arts Center on July 2nd, enjoy various concerts, and meet Uncle Sam before the huge pre-4th of July fireworks choreographed to music light up the sky.
NOTE: You will need a ticket for this event.
Star Spangled 4th
- Address: Town Hall to South Riding Golf Club, 43237 Golf View Drive, South Riding, VA
- Date and Time: July 2 – 5:30 – 9:15 PM
Start the weekend off by decorating your bike or vehicle and participate or watch the patriotic parade at 5:30 from Town Hall. Afterward, head to the food trucks for dinner as you enjoy the live music. Hang around until 9:00 for the dazzling firework display.
Lake Fairfax Fourth of July Celebration
- Address: Lake Fairfax Park, Reston
- Date and Time: July 3 – All Day
Nothing can be better than a day of hiking, picnicking, and swimming around Lake Fairfax. The Water Mine Family Swimmin’ Hole waterpark will be open, and there will be food trucks in the park to satisfy all your cravings. The firework display will begin around 9:00.
Fairfax’s Annual Independence Day Parade
- Address: Historic Fairfax Courthouse, Main Street, Fairfax, VA 22030
- Date and Time: July 3 – 10:00 AM
Spend the morning watching nine marching bands, drill teams, entertainers, balloons, and various civic groups march through Fairfax. The parage begins at 4100 Chain Bridge Road before it heads along Main Street, University Drive, and Armstrong Street.
- Address: Fairfax High School, 3501 Lion Run, Fairfax, VA
- Date and Time: July 4 – 6:30 – 9:30 PM
On the 4th of July, the Fairfax High School grounds will be alive with various live entertainment that will conclude with a firework display.
4th of July Hometown Celebration
- Address: Great Falls, VA
- Date and Time: July 4 – All Day
The 4th of July fun lasts all day in Great Falls.
Begin your day with an 8:00 5K run or walk.
Then watch the babies, toddlers, and children under six parade around the Green in their finest patriotic outfits.
At 10:00, watch the horses, floats, antique cars, and bands parade down the street.
Make your way over to Turner Farm Park, where you can enjoy various contests, games, music, and food trucks until the fireworks go off after dark.
Herndon 4th of July Fireworks
- Address: Herndon Community Center
- Date and Time: July 4 – 9:30 PM
Bring your blanket or lawn chairs to Bready Park and enjoy Herndon’s firework show.
Leesburg Independence Day Celebration
- Addresses: two locations
- Downtown Leesburg
- Ida Lee Park, 60 Ida Lee Drive, Leesburg
- Date and Time: July 4 – 10:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Leesburg’s hometown parade will begin marching through the streets of Leesburg at 10:00 AM.
In the evening, beginning at 6:00 PM, join the festivities at the Ida Lee Park, where you can tap your toes to the live music and enjoy a wide assortment of festival food.
Stay around until 9:30 PM, when you will see the region’s largest firework display set to patriotic music.
Manassas – Celebrate America
- Address: Old Town Manassas
- Date and Time: July 4 – 3:00 – 10:00 PM
The fun begins in Old Town Manassas at 3:30 on the 4th of July with a kid’s bike parade. Come out and cheer on the kids as they parade their patriotic bikes through the streets.
After the parade, head to the food trucks to enjoy some holiday treats and peruse the vendor booths.
Finally, at 9:15 PM, you will get a chance to watch one of NoVa’s largest firework presentations.
4th of July at Signal Hill Park
- Address: Signal Hill Park
- Date and Time: July 4 – 5:30 – 9:30 PM
Spend the evening relaxing in your lawn chair or on your blanket in Signal Hill Park. Throughout the evening, there will be plenty of food trucks to select from before the fireworks go off at 9:15.
Shuttle parking is available at Virginia Railway Express (VRE) Manassas Station, 9451 West St, Manassas, VA 20110, with shuttles beginning at 5:30.
Ice Cream Drive-thru
- Address: McLean Community Center, 1234 Ingleside Ave., McLean, Va. 22101
- Date and Time: July 4 – 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Registration Links:
Head to the McLean Community Center for free ice cream and entertainment.
NOTE: You must register for this event.
July 4th in Middleburg
Address: Middleburg Community Center, 300 W Washington St, Middleburg, VA 20117
Date and Time: July 4 – All Day
4th of July at the Middleburg Community Center means a day of live music, delicious food, activities, a Children’s Parade, and finally fireworks.
The Children’s Parade will be at 5:30 PM and Middleburg Fireworks are at 9:15 PM
Ol’ Time 4th of July Celebration
- Address: Claude Moore Park Visitor Center, 21544 Old Vestals Gap Rd, Sterling, VA 20164
- Date and Time: July 4 – 10:30 AM – 3:00 PM
- Cost: $
Spend the day enjoying the fresh air, live music, yummy fair food, and carnival games.
Vienna Sprinklers and Sparklers and Fireworks Celebration
- Address: two locations
- Vienna Community Center, 120 Cherry Street SE, Vienna, Virginia 22180
- George C. Yeonas Park, 1319 Ross Dr. SW, Vienna, VA 22180
- Date and Time: July 4 – 11:00 – 9:30 PM
Begin your day (11:00 AM – 2:00 PM) at the Vienna Community Center, where everyone can ack like a kid and enjoy getting cooled off under the sprinklers, slipping down the slides, and having a blast in all the water activities.
After drying off, continue celebrating at Yeonas Park, where there will be plenty of music, food, and fireworks.
Dale City Independence Day Parade & Family Fun Day
- Address: Dale Boulevard, Dale City, VA
- Date and Time: July 3 – Beginning at 10:00 AM
Spend your 4th of July morning watching one of Prince William County’s best parades march up Dale Boulevard from Kirkland Drive to Center Plaza. 2021 will be the 50th anniversary of the parade.
4th of July Stroller Striders
- Address: Ben Lomond Park Rd, Sudley, VA 20109
- Date and Time: July 4 – 9:00 AM
- Registration Link
Dress in your wildest red, white, and blue exercise clothes and head to Ben Lomond Park for a free Stroller Striders family class. After class, continue the workout at the Splashdown Waterpark.
Ashburn Village Fireworks
- Address: 44078 Cheltenham Circle, Ashburn, VA
- Date and Time: July 5 – After sunset
There is still a chance to ooh and aah over more fireworks on July 5th. So head over to Ashburn Lake with your lawn chairs or blanket and sit along the Ashburn Lake banks as the fireworks explode from the island.
4th of July Weekend Events Near Me in Maryland
Howard County’s July 4th Fireworks
- Address: Downtown Columbia Lakefront at Lake Kittamaqundi, Columbia, Maryland
- Date and Time: July 4 – 9:20 PM
Fireworks will explode above Lake Kittamaqundi for 22 minutes on the evening of July 4th.
Plan to arrive early with a picnic supper, so you get a great spot to view the fireworks. You may begin to lay down your blankets and set up your chairs after 3:00 PM.
There will be free parking by the Columbia Lakefront near Whole Foods and at the Columbia Mall.
July 4th Parking Lot Party and FREE Fireworks Display
- Address: Frederick Fairgrounds, 797 E. Patrick Street, Frederick, MD
- Date and Time: July 4 – 4:00 – 10:00 PM
- Parking Lot Party Tickets
This year the Frederick Fairgrounds will be the site of FM 99.9 WFRE’s Parking Lot Party. During the evening from 4:00 – 9:00, enjoy three concerts, vendors, and an array of food vendors.
At 7:00 PM, those that are just interested in the fireworks can head to one of 1,500 parking spots at Lots A, C, and E at the Great Frederick Fairgrounds.
Chesapeake Beach Fireworks over The Bay
- Address: 8440 Fairground Road, La Plata, MD
- Date and Time: July 3 – 3:00 – 10:00 PM
Spend the day at the fairgrounds listening to live music, eating plenty of fair food, and even catch a pony ride before the final event of the day, a digital pyro-musical firework display by Innovative pyrotechnic Concepts, LLC.
Independence Day Parade and Celebration
- Address: Mount Airy Museum, 2 N Main St, Mt Airy, MD 21771
- Date and Time: July 4 – 2:00 PM
Join in the Independence Day celebration in Mount Airy. The day begins at 2:00 PM with the Declaration of Independence being read in the courtyard of the Mount Airy Museum. Following the reading, enjoy the town parade brought to you by the Downtown Business Association.
Mount Airy Fireworks
- Address: Carnival Grounds at Twin Arch Rd and Rt 27
- Date and Time: July 3 – 4:00 – 9:30 PM
Enjoy an evening of live music and fireworks.
2021 Parade of Houses
- Address: Takoma Park
Takoma Park is not having their usual Independence Day festivities in 2021, but they are still celebrating the 4th of July with decorated houses.
Check out the website for a map of all the businesses and homes that will be festively decorated. This way, you can map out your route to see the town’s pride.
Be sure to check out the locations that win: Most Creative, Most Engaging, Most Patriotic, Best Decorated Street, and Best Overall.
Six Flags America
- Address: 13710 Central Ave, Bowie, MD
- Date and Time: July 4 – 11:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Spend the day in the park enjoying the rides, shows, and delicious park food. Then end the day watching the fireworks explode over the park.
Laurel, Maryland Pre-Independence Day Festivities
- Date and Time: July 3 – 9:00 AM – 9:30 PM
Spend the day before Independence Day in Laurel, MD, enjoying a whole day full of fun events.
Begin your day watching the parade that will have a lineup of antique and classic cars and all the local marching bands at 11:00. Then take to the streets and peruse the various food and craft vendors. In the afternoon, explore the car show and head to the field for the pledge and National Antem before the Hot Dog Eating Contest and music by Oracle begin. The day will conclude with fireworks over the lake at 9:15 PM.